Friday, April 19, 2013

What Would Happen If We Were The Highest Version of Ourselves?

Live the highest version of yourself.  I have always liked the saying "Do what you can, when you can, the best you can."  This still applies because it is not possible do something you can't do or to do something when you can't do it because if you ARE able to do it, then you just proved yourself wrong. 

The last part is what I have had a problem with and what I believe many others have had a problem with.  Doing things the best that we possibly can.  This applies to everything.  Most people will do the minimum amount to get by, not to get fired, not to get in trouble, etc.  The easiest way to be different and set yourself apart is to always be the best version of yourself.  Always go the extra mile and do something that people don't expect.  This is so rare in the world that you will be remembered and you will make an impression.  People will see you as someone that is different and someone that they want to associate with.

Everyone has a picture of who they are and what they believe in their mind.  What is your picture?  My picture of the highest version of myself is someone that helps others every chance he gets, he eats healthy, exercises, is a loving husband and parent, among many other things.  I won't list them all. 

I do not see the highest version of myself as someone that is out drinking every weekend, sitting on the couch watching TV all day, being rude to my friends or wife, or being undependable.  So why do I do some of those things sometimes?  I talk a good talk about how I want to be all of those good things, but then I sabotage myself, as I'm sure you and many other people do as well. 

I haven't figured out exactly why I do that, but I'm working on it.  I have ideas about it.  One theory of mine is that in my mind, I don't really think that I deserve all of the great things I would have in my life if I lived the highest version of myself.  I don't know if it's something in my past, the mistakes I have made, the people I have let down, or something else, that makes me feel like I don't deserve what would come if I was the highest version of myself. 

I really think this is one of the main purposes of life.  Fulfilling our potential and creating ourselves to be exactly what we want ourselves to be would lead to an immense amount of satisfaction and fulfillment.  This may seem selfish, all of this focus on ourselves, but think how much more of a difference we could make in the lives of others if we were fulfilled and in a good state of mind.  If we are having negative thoughts and unhappy, how much of a difference can we ever make in someone else's life?  It's much harder because we are so preoccupied with our own dilemmas and feelings of hopelessness.  I think we can only make a real difference after we have our own house in order. 

I don't know if any of this is actually true, but like I wrote in my last post about experiencing our own lives, I am going to try to figure it out for myself and see if it's true for me.  I'm not just going to go off of what other people say.  I think we should all do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment