Friday, February 5, 2016

Bleed

I may have written about this before, but I feel the need to do it again.  The best writing advice I've ever read was from James Altucher.  He says to bleed when you write.  Not literally, you'll make a big mess, but figuratively.

I've seen this play out over and over in big posts, Facebook posts, and books.  The ones that get the most attention and reach the most people are the ones that really connect emotionally with people.  The author really makes themselves vulnerable and opens up. People want to connect with that and relate in some way.

No one will ever really identify with the logic of the words that you put on the page.  They identify with the struggle and the emotions of what you write.  If logic always won out, everyone would have lots of money from making smart financial decisions and the world's population would be much smaller.

I will be doing my best here to bleed in as many ways as possible.  That's scary because it opens me up to criticism and I'm sure I could lose some friends and family.  When I really think about it though, when I think about my values, I don't care.  I'm not necessarily writing for anyone but myself.  It's nice to connect, but being honest serves as a great filter for removing the people that aren't really meant to be there in the first place.  You don't like it, there's the door.  I have a mission in this life and you don't have to be a part of it, that's cool.  Go find yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment