Thursday, July 19, 2012

Coming Out of the Funk

I have noticed something since I started lifting regularly three years ago.  My motivation seems to come and go in a predictable pattern.  I get really motivated around October or November and push really hard with lifting and dieting and make some pretty good gains.  Then around May I notice that I'm not as excited about my workouts and I slowly start eating too much. 

I even knew that this had been a problem for me in the past and was prepared for it this year, but it still happened.  It even happened earlier than normal this year.  It started around April and lasted until just a couple weeks ago.  It's not like I didn't work out at all during that time, but my workouts were inconsistent and I didn't really make any strength or body composition gains. 

I do know that it is behind me now because I'm looking forward to my workouts and I'm excited for my workout time to get here everyday.  On my off day yesterday I was disappointed that I wouldn't get to lift.  That's when I know I'm back in the right mindset and I'm going to take advantage of it. 

I have been doing more research on upcoming meets and I think I found the meet that I'm going to register for.  It's November 16th in Dubuque, IA.  I will be competing in the raw division in the squat, bench, and deadlift.  My goals as of right now are to bench 315, squat 475, and deadlift 525.  That would give me a total of 1,315 pounds and would be great for my first meet.  I'm not committing to anything after that, but I am leaning towards taking a couple weeks off and then preparing for a spring bodybuilding competition. 

That is scary for me to even think about because I have dieted down for a contest twice so far and quit at about ten weeks out both times.  I did learn a lot about what to expect from those two attempts so I think I would be better prepared this time, but who knows.

Today's Workout

No comments:

Post a Comment